Catherine’s Self-care Tips
As a mother of two boys, working two and sometimes three jobs, on weekends and most nights, I don’t have much time to relax or look after myself!
On a daily basis, I look forward to watching some TV after the kids have gone to bed, but going on holidays is what really rejuvenates me.
Some tips that help me to stay sane and manage my busy schedule are:
- Routines: Establishing a good routine and early bed time for the kids (this would be easier if it was started when the kids are young!) so that you can have some to yourself at the end of the night.
- Hydration: Have a warm drink first thing in the morning to rehydrate yourself, but preferably not coffee, which can be dehydrating.
- Move: Wake up 30 minutes earlier in the morning to exercise so that you feel energised and feel good about yourself that you have done something healthy for the rest of the day!
- Keep Busy at Bay: Reduce extra-curricular activities so that you and the kids are not over-scheduled. Think back to the time of COVID-19 restrictions, how much more relaxed were you and your family without rushing from one extra-curricular activity to another?
- Connect: If possible, go out for a meal or outing to spend time with the family or friends!